|The responsibilities of individual and society for obesity, its causes and treatment||
• Obesity is a public and private problem|
• Obesity is a financial (economic) problem
|Negative positions about taxation of sugar sweetened beverages and unhealthy snacks||
• Taxation will negatively affect the population because sweet drinks and sweets give people pleasure|
• The industry lobbyists, the Ministry of Finance and Parliament members will oppose.
|Potential supporters of taxation||
• The Government, the Ministry of Finance|
• Parliament members
• The Ministry of Education, education organizations
• Health maintenance organizations, the Ministry of Health, health promoting organizations, health professionals (physicians, nutritionists).
• Environmental organizations
|Reference to low socioeconomic populations||• Taxing cause inequality because it affects the poor much more than the rich.|
|Alternative strategies to fight obesity||
• Regulation and responsibility of the industry|
• Build a healthier environment
• More physical activity
• Personal education and responsibility
|Tax rate and its effect on consumption||
• Low taxation does not make any consumers change|
• High taxation is not proportionate
|Public response to the taxation||
• The public will oppose, they will never support additional taxation (it is not a popular move)|
• The public will be indifferent
|Barriers and obstacles to implementing the tax||
• Difficulties in defining healthy and unhealthy products|
• Difficulties in deciding which products to tax.
• Higher prices of healthy food
• Difficulties in passing the message to the public
• Technical and logistic problems with taxation
• Enforcement difficulties
• Damage to the Industry and danger of worker termination
|Tax complementary activities||• Taxing needs a supporting educational and public promotion and advocacy to follow|
|The need for earmarking tax revenue and obstacles to implementation||
• The tax revenue will not be used for the tax cause.|
• Government authorities will oppose.
• Learning from the past- the attempt to use the tobacco tax revenue for health cause was a failure.
• Opinions against the use of the tax revenue for a specific cause.
• The public will support the use of tax revenue for health cause, and there will be less objections to the tax.
• Options for the revenue use: health promotion, health education, subsidies for healthy foods.